Norwood School

Norwood School opened on February 15, 1909, replacing two frame structures on the same site which had been operating since 1906. The new school was designed by Roland Lines, and incorporated elements of Classic Revival style. Utilizing a variety of surface textures and ornamentation, this red brick building features a main arched entry topped with a balustrade and Palladian window as well as a hip roof with open bracketed side gables. There is stone detailing around the foundation and limestone accents. Norwood School provided room for 400 students in ten classrooms over three floors. In its early years, grades one through eight were taught here. Modern for its time,  it had indoor toilets and drinking fountains and was the first school in the city to install green lithoplate black boards.

Little has changed since the school was built; a gymnasium was added in the 1960s and the top floor has become a library. in the 1990s, some major restoration work was done. Norwood School still operates as a preschool to Grade 6 and continues to offer innovative courses for the many special programs at the school.


Structure Details

Address 9520 111th Avenue, Edmonton, AB T5G 0A6
Time Period Urban Growth: 1905-1913
Year Built 1908
Type Educational
Designation Status No Historic Recognition
Architect(s) Roland Lines
Architectural Style
Character Defining Elements Balconette , Brick cladding , Brick structure , Hipped dormers , Intersecting gable roof , Irregular footprint , Keystone , Portico , Pyramidal roof , Returned eaves , Rock-faced stone , Smooth stone , String course

Additional Images