Architects

With true architectural finesse, Alfred Merigon Calderon’s designs included a grand Beaux-Arts apartment block, a classic Frank Lloyd Wright home, and rustic mountain buildings.

 

After winning architectural design competitions, Allan Merrick Jeffers of Rhode Island caught the attention of Alberta’s first premier who asked Jeffers to come to Edmonton in 1907 to design the Alberta Legislature Building.

Tied inextricably to the architectural composition of the University of Alberta, Cecil Scott Burgess’ lengthy career included lasting measures in Edmonton’s civic development.

 

Retained by Magrath & Holgate as architect for their new development, Morehouse designed at least thirteen buildings in The Highlands between 1912 and 1915.

One of Edmonton’s earliest professionals, Franz Deggendorfer was also the first president of the Alberta Association of Architects.

 

George E. Turner was the Edmonton Public School’s Building Commissioner during the population boom before the First World War.

“The firm of MacDonald and Magoon formed what must be called the most prolific if not the most successful architectural firm in the history of Edmonton.” Historian Percy Johnson, 1994.

Partnering with many prominent architects at the turn of the 20th century, Henry Denny Johnson also made his own significant mark on local architecture with his designs of the McKay Avenue School and John A. McDougall mansion.

“Their partnership, Magoon & MacDonald Architects, became synonymous with good design and attention to detail and, even in frontier times, they made sophisticated use of stylistic influences from eastern Canada, America and Europe.” Historian Lawrence Herzog

Taking advantage of Edmonton’s building boom just after the turn of the twentieth century, James Edward Wize made his living as an architect here for about ten years.

Although relatively unknown, James Henderson designed buildings which harken to Edmonton’s earliest boom time.

“(Dewar) was a man of goodwill and of a super-abundant energy who had risen high in his profession by personal ability and by unsparing application to whatever he put his hand to.” Cecil Burgess, on the death of Maxwell Cameron Dewar, 1955.

 

“Hyde, like Nobbs, was a perfectionist; and the care lavished on detail is apparent in all the firm built, whether private houses, academic structures, or office buildings.” Biographer Susan Wagg

 

Public sentiment toward Peter Hemingway’s designs indicates they have made their way into the very fabric of the city.

 

The elder brother of the architectural duo Blakey & Blakey, Richard Palin Blakey completed the Alberta Legislature and designed Government House.

According to his daughter, Marianne Newby, Robert Falconer Duke was “very British” and a traditionalist at heart even though this ethos is not indicated by his modernist style of public work and upbringing in Saskatchewan.

Robert Percy Barnes established the Alberta Association of Architects in 1906 and dedicated ten years of work here coinciding with Edmonton’s first building boom.

Roland Lines lived in Edmonton for a short ten years. His decade of work in the city, however, has left an impression that many never achieve in a lifetime of effort.

The company John Rule and Gordon Wynn originally founded in 1938 laid the foundation for one of the longest continuously operating architectural firms in Alberta.

In 1950 Jean Wallbridge and Mary Imrie became the first Canadian women, and among the first women in North America, to establish an architectural partnership.

William George Blakey’s career esteems him as one of the longest serving architects in Alberta’s history and his work exhibited an almost prototypical reflection of the diversity of styles prevalent through the much of the twentieth century.

 

An early farmer in Clover Bar, William Somerville Edmiston served as the town’s first architect, as a town alderman, and as mayor.

 

Wilson & Herrald designed many landmark buildings in Strathcona including the town hall, fire hall, library, Commercial Hotel, Princess Theatre, and Rutherford House on the University of Alberta campus.

Subscribe to our newsletter