Beth Shalom Synagogue

Beth Shalom Synogogue on Jasper Avenue is a prominent example of International style architecture in Edmonton.

The Beth Shalom Synagogue was built in 1951. It contained a synagogue, auditorium and education spaces, and was officially named the Beth Shalom Synagogue and Jewish Community Centre. The building was designed by architect Neil McKernan in the International style with Stripped Classicism influences. Utilizing yellow brick and Tyndall stone, the façade contains only ninety degree angles with plain surfaces that contain repeated punched windows. Located on Jasper Avenue, the building is noticeable for its decorative stone entrance and flat roof.

The Beth Shalom congregation began in 1928 when it split from the established Beth Israel congregation, although they did not formally organize until 1932. It was named Beth Shalom, or House of Peace, by Rabbi Jack Eisen. Services were held at the Talmud Torah building at 10023 103 Street, but in 1943 it was suggested that a new synagogue be built. Fundraising for the building began soon after the war, and the ground breaking ceremony took place on May 26, 1950. Since its completion in 1951, the Beth Shalom Synagogue has been a place of worship and community for several generations of Jewish Edmontonians, and it continues to be an important Jasper Avenue landmark in the Oliver neighbourhood.

Details

Type

Religious

Designation Status

No Historic Recognition

Neighbourhood

Oliver

Year Built

1951

Architects

Neil McKernan

Architectural Styles

International

Character Defining Elements

Brick cladding , Flat roof , One storey , Rectangular footprint , Smooth stone

Gallery

Subscribe to our newsletter