Emily Murphy Residence

The home of pioneering women's rights activist Emily Murphy has strong elements of the Craftsman style.

This two storey house was built around 1912 in the Garneau neighbourhood. The home incorporates several Craftsman style features including clapboard siding on the first floor, wooden shingles on the second, and a clipped gable roof with eave brackets and exposed rafters on the exterior.  

This simple, little house is named after Emily Murphy, who lived here with her family from 1919 until her death in 1933. Murphy was an unshakable advocate who challenged the status quo for the rights of women and children. She achieved wide acclaim for her work as a jurist, reformer, and author. In 1916, she was appointed a magistrate, the first woman in the British Empire to attain such a post. Her association with the “Famous Five” (including Nellie McClung, Henrietta Muir Edwards, Louise McKinney and Irene Palby) is also well known for having women recognized as “persons” under the British North America Act, which meant that they could be appointed to the Canadian Senate. Fittingly, after being used as student housing, Emily Murphy’s house is now home to the University of Alberta Student Legal Services.

Details

Type

Residential

Designation Status

No Historic Recognition

Neighbourhood

Garneau

Year Built

1912

Architects

Unknown

Architectural Styles

Craftsman

Character Defining Elements

Bay window , Brackets , Clapboard siding , Exposed rafters , Hipped roof , Irregular footprint , Nailed frame structure , Two storeys , Wooden shingles

Gallery

Subscribe to our newsletter