Ernest Brown Block

This Edwardian style building housed the studio of Ernest Brown, one of Alberta's most famous early photographers.

Completed in 1913, this three storey brick and stone structure is one of the last commercial developments built in Edmonton’s downtown core during the construction boom prior to the First World War. Designed by James Henderson in the Edwardian style, this building was constructed in two separate stages, with the eastern section built in 1912, and the western section built the following year, creating the symmetrical whole that we see today. The Edwardian style is seen in the red brick façade with limestone trim and elevated parapet. There are also pressed metal cornices that extend the full width of the building.

The building was built for its namesake, Ernest Brown. One of Alberta’s most prolific early photographers, Brown had a photographic studio on the second floor and a framing and enlarging workshop in the basement. The main floor provided retail space, and the third floor was kept for apartments.

Details

Type

Commercial

Designation Status

No Historic Recognition

Neighbourhood

Boyle Street

Year Built

1912

Architectural Styles

Edwardian

Character Defining Elements

Brick cladding , Brick structure , Cornice , Decorated parapet , Flat roof , Painted signage , Pilaster , Rectangular footprint , Stone cladding , Three storeys or more

Gallery

Subscribe to our newsletter