First Presbyterian Church

This 1912 Gothic Revival building is the largest Presbyterian church in Edmonton. 

Designed by the Edmonton firm of Wilson and Herrald, the church cost over $170,000. This monumental building is made of pressed brick and stone trim with large Gothic arched windows and a steeply pitched gable roof.

The congregation of First Presbyterian Church was established in 1881, making it among the oldest in Alberta.  An earlier church building was established on Jasper Avenue soon thereafter but the need for a new, larger structure was felt necessary prior to the turn of the century. The accumulation of funds took some time as the congregation’s vision was for a grand structure to last through time. Reverend David George McQueen served as minister for forty-one years.

Details

Type

Religious

Designation Status

No Historic Recognition

Neighbourhood

Downtown

Year Built

1912

Architectural Styles

Gothic Revival

Character Defining Elements

Brick cladding , Brick structure , Buttress , Coping , Crenellated parapet , Gothic windows , Intersecting gable roof , Irregular footprint , Porch , Rusticated stone , Stained glass , String course , Tower

Gallery

Subscribe to our newsletter