Holy Trinity Anglican Church

Holy Trinity Anglican Church is a clinker brick masterpeice.

The congregation of Holy Trinity Anglican Church began in 1893 in response to an increasing number of Anglican newcomers from Ontario and overseas. The original frame building was moved to this site in 1900, but was soon too small for the growing congregation. The basement for the existing church was excavated in 1906 and the church officially opened in 1913 in a ceremony conducted by Bishop Pinkham of Calgary.

Holy Trinity Anglican Church was designed in a modified English Gothic style by Strathcona architects Henry and Arthur Whiddington. Using Edmonton’s characteristic clinker bricks, the Whiddingtons managed to evoke the cobbles found in many English stone churches. The building features Gothic elements such as pointed arched windows, tracery and corner buttressing. It also incorporates a large front bell tower with battlement inspired parapet details. The interior features beautiful stained glass windows and crafted dark wood paneling as well as an organ that was purchased in 1923 as a memorial to the 46 parishioners who died in the First World War. In 1949 a Parish Hall was built on the south side of the church, and in 1962 an addition was erected east of the Parish Hall. Both of these additions were built of brick and designed to be sympathetic to the original structure.

Details

Type

Religious

Designation Status

No Historic Recognition

Neighbourhood

Strathcona

Year Built

1907-1913

Architectural Styles

Clinker

Character Defining Elements

Brick cladding , Buttress , Clerestory windows , Clinker brick , Crenellated parapet , Date stone , Flat roof , Gable roof , Gabled parapet , Irregular footprint , Metal structure , Smooth stone , Stained glass , Tower

Gallery

Subscribe to our newsletter