Masonic Temple- Saskatchewan Lodge #92

Completed in 1931, this Freemasons Hall was designed by WIlliam G. Blakey in the Gothic Revival style.

The Masonic Temple, as it was known at the time of its construction, was built in the Gothic Revival style. Although more commonly associated with educational and religious buildings, the Gothic style was well-suited for the building’s purpose as a temple for a local chapter of the Freemasons, a fraternal organization which traces its roots to the stonemasons who built some of Europe’s most beautiful cathedrals in the Middle Ages.

Elements of the Gothic Revival style seen in this building include the use of brick and (artificial) stone, the tower (which accommodated some of the building’s mechanical equipment), the multiple arches, and the pilasters designed to resemble buttresses. The Temple has two very similar entrances on the front façade, the main difference being that the main entrance on the left is somewhat larger. However, both feature double oak doors with bronze lock plates and window tracery above. They are both accessed by a short flight of stairs, literally elevating the building from passersby and making it both more imposing and demanding more reverence. The building contains an incredible amount of detail created by the artificial stone. Of particular interest are the six recesses between the pilasters on the front façade: they include pointed arches, window tracery, pendants, and other ornamental details.

Construction of the Freemasons Hall began in November of 1930 and was completed by June 1931. Built at the beginning of the Depression, it was an extravagant building for the time. The building permit was estimated at $150,000. The building houses an auditorium, library, foyer, offices in both the first and second floors, a banquet room and kitchen in the basement, and both small and large lodge rooms in the third floor, each being decorated with specific Masonic emblems and symbols. Since its construction the building has been used by the Saskatchewan Lodge #92 of Ancient, Free, and Accepted Masons (Freemasons). This particular chapter was first established in 1915 and was chartered in 1916. The property was originally purchased in 1929 from Dr. Edward Braithwaite, Edmonton’s first Medical Officer who joined the Masons in 1893. The property, prior to the Freemasons Hall, was a portion of the property that housed Dr. Braithwaite’s home. 

Details

Type

Social and Recreational

Designation Status

No Historic Recognition

Neighbourhood

Downtown

Year Built

1930

Architectural Styles

Gothic Revival

Character Defining Elements

Artificial stone , Brick cladding , Coping , Crenellated parapet , Date stone , Flat roof , Pendant , Pilaster , Polished stone , Poured concrete structure , Rectangular footprint , Three storeys or more , Tower , Brick cladding

Gallery

Subscribe to our newsletter