McLeod Building

The Chicago style McLeod Building was built in 1915 and became Edmonton's first skyscraper.

The nine storey brick and terra cotta McLeod Building was built in 1915. It is one of Edmonton’s finest surviving examples of the Chicago School of architecture, exemplified by its regularly-spaced windows, steel-frame structure with masonry cladding, and limited amount of exterior ornamentation. Located on a prominent corner in downtown Edmonton, this building remained the tallest structure on the skyline until 1951.

The McLeod Building was built by Kenneth McLeod who arrived in Edmonton in 1881 and became a successful real estate speculator during the pre-war boom. As an alderman and public school trustee, he sought to build Edmonton's greatest commercial structure. Designed as offices for the city’s elite clientele, the interior utilized fine marbles and wood, and attracted prestigious tenants such as A.C. Rutherford, the first Premier of Alberta. During the 1960s, as businesses moved to larger high-rises, the building was modified into high-end condos. 

Details

Type

Commercial

Designation Status

No Historic Recognition

Neighbourhood

Downtown

Year Built

1915

Architects

John Dow

Architectural Styles

Chicago

Character Defining Elements

Brick cladding , Carving , Cornice , Date stone , Flag pole , L shape footprint , Metal structure , Terra cotta , Three storeys or more

Gallery

Subscribe to our newsletter