Norwood School

Norwood School is one of Edmonton's early brick schools and was designed in the Classical Revival style.

Norwood School opened on February 15, 1909, replacing two frame structures on the same site which had been operating since 1906. The new school was designed by Roland Lines, and incorporated elements of Classic Revival style. Utilizing a variety of surface textures and ornamentation, this red brick building features a main arched entry topped with a balustrade and Palladian window as well as a hip roof with open bracketed side gables. There is stone detailing around the foundation and limestone accents. Norwood School provided room for 400 students in ten classrooms over three floors. In its early years, grades one through eight were taught here. Modern for its time,  it had indoor toilets and drinking fountains and was the first school in the city to install green lithoplate black boards.

Little has changed since the school was built; a gymnasium was added in the 1960s and the top floor has become a library. in the 1990s, some major restoration work was done. Norwood School still operates as a preschool to Grade 6 and continues to offer innovative courses for the many special programs at the school.

Details

Type

Educational

Designation Status

No Historic Recognition

Neighbourhood

Alberta Avenue

Year Built

1908

Architects

Roland Lines

Architectural Styles

Classical Revival

Character Defining Elements

Balconette , Brick cladding , Brick structure , Hipped dormers , Intersecting gable roof , Irregular footprint , Keystone , Portico , Pyramidal roof , Returned eaves , Rock-faced stone , Smooth stone , String course

Gallery

Subscribe to our newsletter