R. W. McKinnell Residence

Ornate examples of the Arts and Crafts style such as the R. W. McKinnell Residence are uncommon in Edmonton.

This Arts and Crafts residence, built in 1913, is an elaborate example of that particular architectural style. The house uses natural materials, including wood siding and details as well as cedar shingles. Built by Hand & Blackstead, this house features exaggerated detailing with large eaves, pointed rafter ends and arched openings. There are ornate column dentil details and a detailed front upper gable.

The house is named after its first resident, traveler and coal salesman Robert McKinnell, who lived there until 1917. John and Caroline Robertson owned the house from 1918 until 1972. Mr. Robertson was the deputy minister and chief engineer for Public Works in the Province of Alberta, and as such was responsible for the engineering of highways around the province. He lived in the house until his death in 1933 and his widow, Caroline, remained in their home until 1972.

Details

Type

Residential

Designation Status

No Historic Recognition

Neighbourhood

Garneau

Year Built

1916

Architectural Styles

Arts and Crafts

Character Defining Elements

Balcony , Bay window , Brackets , Clapboard siding , Columns , Exposed rafters , Gable roof , Intersecting gable roof , Nailed frame structure , Porch , Rectangular footprint , Shed roof dormer , Two storeys , Wooden shingles

Gallery

Subscribe to our newsletter