Robertson-Wesley United Church

Robertson-Wesley United Church was built in 1913 in the Gothic Revival style.

Robertson Presbyterian Church was built in 1913 and was based on the plans from First Baptist Church in Calgary developed by architect D.S. McIlroy. Designed in the Gothic Revival style, the building’s scale demonstrates the optimism before the First World War. Typical of large, landmark religious buildings of the time, the church is located on a prominent corner. Built of Redcliff pressed brick, with contrasting light stone trim around the windows and doors, the main structure is topped with a steeped gable roof decorated with finials. The building incorporates a large bell tower, with arched entry and pointed arch windows, which is crowned with an octagonal spire. The exterior walls contain buttresses and large tracery windows. There is also an impressive collection of stained glass windows best viewed from the interior.

Originally built as a Presbyterian Church, it became a United Church in 1925 after the merging of the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregationalists. It was named Robertson-Wesley in 1971 when the congregation merged with the Wesley United Church. It was so named to honour the Reverend James Robertson, who was the Presbyterian missionary superintendent for the Northwest Territories from 1881 to 1902.

Details

Type

Religious

Designation Status

No Historic Recognition

Neighbourhood

Oliver

Year Built

1914

Architects

D. S. McIlroy

Architectural Styles

Gothic Revival

Character Defining Elements

Brick cladding , Brick structure , Coping , Cupola , Gable roof , Gabled parapet , Intersecting gable roof , Irregular footprint , Quoins , Smooth stone , Spire , Stained glass , String course , Tower , Two storeys

Gallery

Subscribe to our newsletter