St. Joachim's Roman Catholic Church

Built in 1899 this Gothic Revival style church was the heart of Edmonton's early francophone community.

Architect Francis X. Deggendorfer based this building on medieval ecclesiastical design. There are many Gothic details including the steeply pitched gable roof, the heavy appearance of the structure, and the use of tracery and gothic style arched windows. Built of brick, the exterior walls contain decorative buttresses. Stone is used for details and to create contrast especially on the great front entry tower, which is topped off with a spire. There are two front side pinnacles, representing the strong French-Canadian ties.

St. Joachim's mission was established at Fort Edmonton in 1854. The church was relocated many times before finding a home in the heart of the francophone Catholic community in Edmonton (today’s Oliver neighborhood). Originally built in 1899, St. Joachim's is the oldest Roman Catholic parish in Edmonton. A steeple was added in 1901 and the vestry was completed in 1912. As one of the earliest and most impressive Roman Catholic churches in Alberta, St. Joachim's has served as a model for several subsequent places of worship.

Details

Type

Religious

Designation Status

No Historic Recognition

Neighbourhood

Oliver

Year Built

1899

Architectural Styles

Gothic Revival

Character Defining Elements

Brick cladding , Brick structure , Buttress , Corbelling , Cornice , Gable roof , Keystone , Rectangular footprint , Smooth stone , Spire , Stained glass , Tower , Two storeys

Gallery

Subscribe to our newsletter